Michaels’ goal in providing program management is to deliver results in a cost effective manner. These results are in the form of kWh, KW, and therm savings. Our commitment to our utility customers is to support them in their efforts to save demand and energy as cost effectively as possible and to contribute to their resource needs. Consistent with this goal is delivering verified and persistent results.
Michaels’ staff has been managing energy efficiency, demand response, and renewable energy programs for over thirty-five years. This experience addresses all customer types and program types—rebates, shared savings, behavioral, information, and audit/study programs to name a few.
- Retro-commissioning program has identified an average of 22.5% energy savings per customer with close rates of 80% for hospitals, 25% for schools, and 50% for colleges and universities.
- Repackaged and implemented a DSM portfolio for residential, commercial, and industrial customers with 252% increased participation over the previous year.
- Designed and delivered a demand response program for commercial and industrial customers that utilized the customers EMCS for load management.
- Designed a small business program that utilized small scale thermal energy storage as a utility dispatchable resource.
- Managed a PV program for residential and business customers that exceeded goals and met state mandated renewable energy targets.
- Designed and managed commercial and industrial energy efficiency that utilized shared savings that saved 1.2% to 2.5% of energy sales for twelve consecutive years at a cost below rebate programs. Realization rates averaged over 90% for both electric and natural gas.
- Participated in Smart Grid projects that evaluated Smart Grid technologies, utility implementation, and end user applications.
Michaels’ staff takes programs from the design through launch and has managed programs over the long term. Program management includes customer acquisition, marketing, administration, tracking, and evaluation. Most of our programs include M&V in measure implementation.
Lastly, Michaels includes a strong trade ally element in its programs and manages the trade ally effort with education, training, and marketing materials. This has even included focused efforts with trades and trade associations.
Program Rules – Michaels has authored custom efficiency program rules to include payback limits, unit energy cost limits, project eligibility requirements, customer eligibility, fuel switching issues, incentive limits and M&V triggers.
Regulatory Review – Michaels reviews new requirements including measurement and verification guidelines and procedures proposed and eventually enacted by regulatory bodies.
Project Measurement & Verification (M&V) – Michaels provides pre and post verification of system design and operation for the largest and most complex custom efficiency projects.
Program Change Impacts – Michaels analyzes projected program impacts for rule changes or energy code changes.